If it’s Monday, it must be time for an update!
Fun with the story-compiler, the scripting interface, and fonts this week. Also discovered a biggish screw-up.
First update of the new year. Spending New Year’s Eve coding is fundamentally on-brand for me, so that’s what I did.
This ultimately resulted in the largest update to the game in quite a while.
Well, I’ve built a lot on top of last week’s successes. Splitting the save-files into multiple sub-files was a good move. Following the logical thread of that, the compiled story-file is now a set of sub-files as well; and I was able to do something pretty awesome with that.
Last week, there were a bunch of things that weren’t quite right. Attempts to improve font-handling were bungled, music wasn’t restoring properly when the game was reloaded (which I thought I fixed, but I wasn’t entirely correct), and image-transitions were kind of fouling up my cool game-loading effect.
This week, that’s all sorted.
Three weeks. It’s been a while since the last update.
Most of the last three weeks have involved tidying and documenting code. Documentation is important, but often not for the reasons people think it is important.
Not a lot of progress to report, on account of Melbourne International Games Week, which was both exhausting and amazing.
Games Connect Asia Pacific was rough going, featuring a lot of stuff that I was just plain out-of-practice with, but the sessions were great, I met a few people, and was able to talk more about my game and about theirs. Pretty awesome!
This week is all about refitting the narrative. I have the worst compiler in Compiler Town.
So, a funny thing happened while I was finishing off the last of the image transitions this week…
A three-week jump this time, due to a lack of time on devblog day. There are some developments that I’m excited about.