Development Progress Report, week 41

There’s been a big dip in the development schedule. Family urgencies and other commitments sapped a lot of my time and energy, but I’m back to developing again.

Time to look at progress for the previous week, and maybe a few other treats, besides.

Continue reading Development Progress Report, week 41

Development Progress Report, week 29

My, what a productive week it has been! Many bugs fixed, and many new bugs created (and also fixed).

If we were just working off bugs-fixed, this would have been a banner week, indeed, since I was briefly creating them as fast as I resolved them. However, there was a whole lot more going on.

Continue reading Development Progress Report, week 29

Development Progress Report, week 23-24

I missed last week’s development blog post due to the pressure of other things, so I’ve got two weeks to cover.

On the narrative side, I’m nearing a long-awaited story milestone. The prologues are complete for each of the eleven protagonists, and all but two of them are written through to the end of the rather dense and complicated first day of the story proper. Once those last two characters are written through, that will represent a major milestone.

That brings us to (today), 88 scenes and 232,814 words. That’s more than Dune (the book), or Neverwinter Nights (the game) [This isn’t a competition!], but we’re not really into the full swing of things yet. That will be in the second Act, which is where the bulk of the narrative technology should start to shine (I hope!).

Continue reading Development Progress Report, week 23-24

Development Progress Report, weeks 20 and 21

There wasn’t a status report last week, because I was without electricity and an Internet connection, as a result of several days worth of getting the house rewired. Even this update is posted a day later than I’d intended.

That is past, and a lot got done during the rest of the time!

Continue reading Development Progress Report, weeks 20 and 21

That’s what you get

What do you get when you rework, redesign, extend and simplify your conditional expression evaluators? You get bugs, that’s what you get.

Thankfully, nothing was terribly difficult to figure out, once I’d actually discovered that the bug was there at all. The problem was that I didn’t notice for about a day.

Continue reading That’s what you get

Rewriting text output

Rendering text in a graphical environment is … let’s call it ‘involved’. Assuming you want to output a single line of text in a single typeface and colour, that’s pretty easy. The interface libraries will even probably be willing to word-wrap it for you.

If you want to do other things, like mix plain text with italics or bold or text in other colours, well suddenly you’ve got dozens of hoops to jump through.

Well, I did want that, so I had to work for it.

Continue reading Rewriting text output