Well, it has been a while. Some of the prescribed medication seems to have been interfering with my ability To Get Stuff Done(tm). That said, either I’m getting used to that, or this is a bit of an anomalous bump. Let’s hope for the former.
Development Progress Report, week 66
In which a valuable lesson about Lua is learned.
Development Progress Report, week 64
Feedback is awesome! Seriously.
Managing to get a couple of people to give the game a try was incredibly energising and very informative!
Development Progress Report, week 63
It seems like a lot happened this week. Much of it was related to fonts and the new embedded Lua scripting. Oh, and screwing up. There was a reasonable amount of that, too.
Development Progress Report, week 62
Fun with the story-compiler, the scripting interface, and fonts this week. Also discovered a biggish screw-up.
Development Progress Report, week 61
First update of the new year. Spending New Year’s Eve coding is fundamentally on-brand for me, so that’s what I did.
This ultimately resulted in the largest update to the game in quite a while.
Development Progress Report, week 60
Well, I’ve built a lot on top of last week’s successes. Splitting the save-files into multiple sub-files was a good move. Following the logical thread of that, the compiled story-file is now a set of sub-files as well; and I was able to do something pretty awesome with that.
Development Progress Report, week 59
Last week, there were a bunch of things that weren’t quite right. Attempts to improve font-handling were bungled, music wasn’t restoring properly when the game was reloaded (which I thought I fixed, but I wasn’t entirely correct), and image-transitions were kind of fouling up my cool game-loading effect.
This week, that’s all sorted.
Development Progress Report, weeks 56-58
Three weeks. It’s been a while since the last update.
Most of the last three weeks have involved tidying and documenting code. Documentation is important, but often not for the reasons people think it is important.
Development Progress Report, weeks 50+51
The last two weeks have been about refactoring narrative. If you’ve been keeping up with these development blogs, you’ll already be aware that I’ve done a lot to introduce newer, clearer, improved syntax to the story definition to make authoring a lot easier.
What isn’t so easy is going back and actually converting over 25,000 lines of narrative from the old syntax to the new syntax.