If it’s Monday, it must be time for an update!
Feedback is awesome! Seriously.
Managing to get a couple of people to give the game a try was incredibly energising and very informative!
It seems like a lot happened this week. Much of it was related to fonts and the new embedded Lua scripting. Oh, and screwing up. There was a reasonable amount of that, too.
Nothing especially exciting to report this week, but there is a picture!
The narrative has topped 255K words (as you see in the image above), so that’s progressing slowly. I’ve also been working a little on trying to get the story-compiler to output some useful additional information.
This update is a couple days late, because some appointments and things got in the way.
I’ll be brief. I promise.
Not a lot of progress to report, on account of Melbourne International Games Week, which was both exhausting and amazing.
Games Connect Asia Pacific was rough going, featuring a lot of stuff that I was just plain out-of-practice with, but the sessions were great, I met a few people, and was able to talk more about my game and about theirs. Pretty awesome!
Week 52. How did we even get here?
I’ve not worked on Argus and SNAFU every week since I started the project, so it has technically been a bit longer, but there have been 52 weeks now that I’ve put in at least one hour’s work in a given week.
The last two weeks have been about refactoring narrative. If you’ve been keeping up with these development blogs, you’ll already be aware that I’ve done a lot to introduce newer, clearer, improved syntax to the story definition to make authoring a lot easier.
What isn’t so easy is going back and actually converting over 25,000 lines of narrative from the old syntax to the new syntax.
This week is all about refitting the narrative. I have the worst compiler in Compiler Town.
A three-week jump this time, due to a lack of time on devblog day. There are some developments that I’m excited about.