Well, it has been a while. Some of the prescribed medication seems to have been interfering with my ability To Get Stuff Done(tm). That said, either I’m getting used to that, or this is a bit of an anomalous bump. Let’s hope for the former.
If it’s Monday, it must be time for an update!
Feedback is awesome! Seriously.
Managing to get a couple of people to give the game a try was incredibly energising and very informative!
It seems like a lot happened this week. Much of it was related to fonts and the new embedded Lua scripting. Oh, and screwing up. There was a reasonable amount of that, too.
Fun with the story-compiler, the scripting interface, and fonts this week. Also discovered a biggish screw-up.
First update of the new year. Spending New Year’s Eve coding is fundamentally on-brand for me, so that’s what I did.
This ultimately resulted in the largest update to the game in quite a while.
Well, I’ve built a lot on top of last week’s successes. Splitting the save-files into multiple sub-files was a good move. Following the logical thread of that, the compiled story-file is now a set of sub-files as well; and I was able to do something pretty awesome with that.
Last week, there were a bunch of things that weren’t quite right. Attempts to improve font-handling were bungled, music wasn’t restoring properly when the game was reloaded (which I thought I fixed, but I wasn’t entirely correct), and image-transitions were kind of fouling up my cool game-loading effect.
This week, that’s all sorted.
Not a lot of progress to report, on account of Melbourne International Games Week, which was both exhausting and amazing.
Games Connect Asia Pacific was rough going, featuring a lot of stuff that I was just plain out-of-practice with, but the sessions were great, I met a few people, and was able to talk more about my game and about theirs. Pretty awesome!
So, a funny thing happened while I was finishing off the last of the image transitions this week…